Common Australian Visa Applications in Brisbane

Visa application Brisbane

If you’re looking to move to Australia on a temporary or permanent basis, you’ll need a visa.  There are a huge range of Australian visas to choose from (see the Department of Home Affairs for a full list ), depending on your specific circumstances and why you’re coming to Australia and how long you’re planning to stay.

Today, we’ll go through the most popular Australian visa applications in Brisbane – but remember, these might not be the most suitable visas for you.  This is a very brief discussion of these Australian visas and doesn’t consider your specific circumstances – do your research and talk to a professional before making any decisions.

Student Visa (subclass 500)

The classic student visa is most often associated with international university students looking to study in Australia.

However, this is also the visa for students studying at Australian primary or high schools, English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students, vocational training, non-award study and Defence or DFAT education.

These visas allow the student to study in Australia for up to 5 years and can include family members.

Working Holiday or Work and Holiday Visas (subclasses 462 and 417)

These visas are for young people aged 18-30 years old (18-35 if you’re from France, Ireland or Canada) and allow you to live and work in Australia for up to one year.

These are commonly known as Working Holiday visas, but there are actually two types here – the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and the Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462).  Confused?  Most people are!

The big difference here is where you come from.

The Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) is for travellers from:  Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguary, USA and Vietnam.

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is for travellers from: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the UK.

If you’re wanting to stay for longer than a year, you can have up to 3 consecutive working holiday visas – but need to have done 3 months eligible regional work on the previous visa.

Partner Visa (subclasses 820 and 801)

Partner visas are for people looking to move permanently to Australia to live with their Australian de facto partner or spouse.

You may be eligible if your partner or spouse is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.  You apply for both the Partner Visa (Temporary – subclass 820) and the Partner Visa (Permanent – subclass 801) at the same time.  The temporary visa is granted until the permanent Partner visa is finalised – this is a long process and takes around 3.5 to 4 years.

While on the Temporary visa you can live, work and study in Australia, and travel to and from the country as much as you’d like.  You’re also able to apply for access to Medicare, Australia’s universal healthcare system.

When your Permanent Partner visa is confirmed, you can stay in Australia indefinitely, sponsor family members to come to Australia and apply for citizenship.

If the relationship breaks down before the Permanent Partner visa is granted, it may have an impact on the application.  However, in cases of domestic violence or the death of the sponsoring partner, the Permanent visa may still be granted.

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

Many Australian visa applications in Brisbane are for the Skilled Independent Visa, which allows skilled workers to live and work permanently in Australia.

Skilled workers are those who fill a gap in the Australian workforce and the list is regularly updated depending on the labour market – you can check the current list on the Department of Home Affairs website.  (LINK:

Interested workers submit an Expression of Interest in the visa.  They are awarded points depending on age, English language ability, education, occupation and professional experience.  The more points someone has, the more likely they are to receive an invitation to apply for the Skilled Independent Visa.

If a person receives an invitation, they are then eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent Visa in a specific window of time.

Similar visas are available for workers going to regional areas for up to five years (subclass 190) or who are sponsored by an Australian state or territory (subclass 491).

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

The Employer Nomination Scheme visas are for skilled workers (according to the Skilled Occupation List LINK: ) who are nominated by their employer.   A worker requires a contract for a minimum of 2 years and the visa allows them to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely.  This is a common Australian visa application in Brisbane and can become more complicated as it involves liaising between the worker, the employer and the Australian government.

Migrating to Australia is not a simple process.  It can be expensive and there’s no guarantee of success.  Even if you’re eligible, mistakes in your Australian visa application can delay the process or lead to a declined application.

We recommend seeking specialist advice from experts in Australian visa application in Brisbane.  A professional who knows the requirements of these visas inside out can give your application the best possible chance of success.

This article is intended to provide general information in summary form on legal topics, current at the time of publication, for general informational purposes only. The material may not apply to all jurisdictions. The contents do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be a substitute for legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should seek legal advice or other professional advice in relation to any particular matters you or your organisation may have.