I’m Australian and my partner is from overseas – what visa can they apply for to stay in Australia permanently?

Partner Visa subclasses 820/801 and 309/100 and the  subclass 300 Prospective Marriage Visa are the most common options.

The Partner Visa allows couples (whether married or de facto) to travel to and live in Australia.  The Prospective Marriage Visa subclass 300 is similar, but there’s a requirement that the applicant travels to Australia and marries their partner within the nine-month visa period.

What evidence do we need to show to prove our relationship is genuine?

Partner visas are notorious for making you jump through a lot of hoops to prove your relationship.  This will include:

  • personal statements,
  • financial evidence,
  • social evidence,
  • household evidence and
  • evidence of a commitment.

It’s an enormous amount of information to put together and we really recommend doing it under the guidance of an immigration expert.

These visas aren’t cheap and the last thing you want is to have your application rejected because of a documentation error.

Other Questions?

The areas of migration and compensation law are huge and ever changing – if you’re looking for specific advice or representation for your situation, give us a call on 07 3317 8380.

We offer free initial consultations and can help you weigh up your options.